Saturday, August 11, 2012

First day of school

Yesterday our school began and we from Finland were the only ones who couldn't speak spanish fluently. It was almost a bit embarrasing :/ We got to know a very nice tutor from Peru, Carolina. A mexican girl, Karen and a girl from Costa Rica, Lucero :) They all can speak english so it was easy to chat with them. There were lot of people from France and Germany but they didn't speak english so it was a bit difficult to communicate. But hopefully later when I learn more spanish I can become friends with them too.

The school was very big and nicely designed. At the gates there are securitymen and metal detectors, you don't get in without showing a studentcard. The school is called Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas. "UPC". UPC has a starbucks coffee shop at the school! So nice! I have 2 courses in english and 3 in spanish. In two of the spanish courses I'm alone in them without Juho and Niina.

My schedule is:
Monday 11-13 (Procesos Culinaros) & 15-16 (Pasteria y panaderia)
Tuesday 9-12 (Pasteria y panaderia)
Wednesday 14-16 (Cross Cultural Management)
Thursday 10-12 (Bebidas)
Friday 7-10 (International Negotiations)

I like my schedule, not too much school ;) I had to change 2 courses because they would have been too difficult for me to take in spanish. Now I have time to explore Lima and hopefully do trips to Iquitos and Cusco.

UPC has many buildings with classes.


Combis!


Later today I'm going to meet up with Carolina, Karen and Lucero. They will help us to get prepaid sim cards. Very nice of them to help me so much, especially the tutor Carolina who showed us the right busroute home yesterday. The "buses" is small and very rusty and they are called Combis. Combis doesn't have regular schedules or busstops. One man is always shouting where the combi is going and people is hopping in and on wherever they want, crazy :D Travelling with a combi from UPC home cost about 1,20 Soles (= 0,40€). Very cheap. Taxi to school costs 12 Soles (= ~ 3,5€). I probably have to dump the idea of buying a bike and cycling to school, I don't want to get killed ;D 

Today was the first day I got a warm shower after leaving Finland! :) I left the shower running while I went to get the hotels breakfast and it did indeed get warmer after 20 minutes, awesome!

5 comments:

  1. henna, it's time of your life! enjoy, love xoxoxo<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vilmaa, ihanaa että jaksat kommentoida ja lukea <3 toivottavasti kaikki hyvin siellä!

      Delete
  2. hennaaa!! Va roligt! Låter skitbra, spanska kan du redan nästa vecka :) o jo dumpa cykel iden, ja vill gärna att du kommer hem helskinnad <3 uppdatera ofta, o myki bilder!! KRAM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaa hoppas det :P jep ja ska ta myki bilder iaf nu i början. vi sku kunna chatta nån dag via skype!

      Delete
    2. Jo, ja ska försöka ha skype öppet så myky som möjligt så skriv när du har möjlighet (= kramis

      Delete