Monday, October 29, 2012

A weekend in Santiago de Chile

First time for me travelling alone. I was picked up in the airport by my boss who I work for in Finland. He is a friend of my dad. He got married two weeks ago to a lovely woman called Fransisca. First we went to their appartment and I got to know their family there, 4 kids of ages 13, 15, 21 and 23! First night was time for BBQ-party at a local club. Jose (my boss) and Fransisca are members of this club so they can have parties there whenever they want. Also their wedding was located there. A lot of their friends came there to eat and drink wine. Chilean wine is very good! Joses nepweh, Santiago 27 years, came to the party and then when it was over we decided to continue partying and went to his place with his friends. It was fun to know new people and talk about differences between Europe and Southern America, and languages.

Chilean beer

The club

Fran and her boyfriend Pablo

Santi

The next morning Jose picked me up and I got to go shopping with Fransiscas oldest daughter (also called Fransisca). It is a tradition here to give the oldest daughter the name of mom and oldest son the name of the father. I found a dress and a skirt. AND a HAIRBRUSH, which I've been looking for in Lima for 3months and never found one. :D After that we went to the boys, Felipes and Guillermos, school. It was some kind of fund riser event with children selling food and lottery tickets. The fund was called MariaAyuda. After that I was droven to my hostel Santiago Backpackers. I can't thank Jose and his family enough for being to kind and helpful. They even gave me a phone with a chilean number if something happens :D

Felipee! :)




Anton, the Hebrew and me :D
The first night at the hostel I got to meet my roommates: 2 swedes, one danish guy, one chilean guy and a colombian guy. There was also one man that I didn't get to know, I only know that he snored so loudly that I couldn't sleep very well, just my luck! But the first evening I just chatted with the swedish girl (Veronica) and boy (Anton), and the danish guy whos name is too hard for me to spell :D I noticed that I had difficulties to remember words in swedish because I've only been using Finnish, English and Spanish the last 3 months :o We also met a weird hebrew with stories about evil spirits and that the bible is a lie, the garden of Eden is actually located in Etiopia and the river Nile is not Nile, wrong language has been used for years and so on... I hadn't any clue what the hell he talked about or what he had been taking :D

Sweden and Denmark
The next day we went for a 4 hour walk, before my flight left, with Veronica, Anton, the danish guy and Bree from England. Our plan was to go to every museum located near our hostel but we had bad luck because everything was closed! It was some kind of election day in Chile so nothing was open. Not even busses did go to Cerro San Cristobal and sadly I didn't have the time to climb up to see the views. Well anyway it was nice to look around the city and get to know this people. It was very hot and the sun was shining! Santiago have a very organized traffic compared to Lima, no combies and crazy drivers. Also the look and design of Santiago is very Western and European. I liked it very much! It has been said that Santiago is one of the most safest capitals in Southern America.









No comments:

Post a Comment